Sunday, August 11, 2013

Anti-PED foundation founder disappointed in A-Rod

New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez, who is the only player appealing his suspension for using PED's, stands by the batting cage during batting practice before a baseball game Sunday, Aug. 11, 2013, in New York. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez, who is the only player appealing his suspension for using PED's, stands by the batting cage during batting practice before a baseball game Sunday, Aug. 11, 2013, in New York. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez glances at the crowd during batting practice before a baseball game Sunday, Aug. 11, 2013, in New York. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez watches his team play against the Detroit Tigers during the first inning of a baseball game Saturday, Aug. 10, 2013, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

(AP) ? The way the founder of an anti-steroids organization sees it Alex Rodriguez owes him an explanation.

He's still waiting.

"It's not mad at him, It's not anything to be mad about. It's disappointed," Don Hooton told the Associated Press at Yankee Stadium on Sunday. "I really hoped I would've heard from Alex before (his suspension) came out" last week.

A tireless crusader against PEDs since his son Taylor committed suicide at 17 after becoming depressed following his withdrawal from steroids, Don Hooton quickly enlisted Rodriguez in 2009, when the New York Yankees slugger addmitted to using illegal drugs with the Texas Rangers from 2001-03, to help the Taylor Hooton Foundation.

Rodriguez did most of his work for the foundation out of the spotlight ? meeting thousands of kids in about 36 appearances for the group ? and Hotoon said A-Rod was an exemplary volunteer.

But Hooton feels Rodriguez's recent 211-game suspension as a result of Major League Baseball's investigation into Biogenesis, the now-closed Florida anti-aging clinic, has overshadowed everything else.

"He's lived up to every part of his obligation to us, except this one," Hooton said. "And it's more important that all the others."

The Yankees third baseman is appealing the suspension.

Hooton was reluctant to vilify Rodriguez when rumors first started emerging about the three-time AL MVP's link to Biogenesis. Once it became clear he would be suspended, though, the foundation's board chose to end its association with the twice-tainted star.

Hooton said they will likely remove references to Rodriguez in the organization's materials ? except as an example of a player who relapsed.

"If anything he becomes an example of how powerful these drugs are," Hooton said. "It still baffles me that one of the best guys that's ever played the game feels the need to go back to these drugs. It's crazy."

An annual event for the foundation held in a suite at Yankee Stadium drew more than 60 donors paying $500 per ticket. There was an auction with items from Derek Jeter, Yogi Berra, Giants receiver Victor Cruz and others, but nothing from Rodriguez. Hooton said they have items from the generous 38-year-old Rodriguez, but he didn't think it was appropriate to use them.

Still, Hooton looks forward to talking to Rodriguez, who didn't talk to media before Sunday's game.

"We'll welcome the discussion. Honestly, I'd like to find a way to embrace him. I really would. I don't know what that would look like," Hooton said. "But I'd like to begin a dialogue with him."

Associated Press

Source: http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/347875155d53465d95cec892aeb06419/Article_2013-08-11-BBA-Yankees-Rodriguez-Hooton-Foundation/id-dacc6885d8e940619d6183314573e78d

nina dobrev HLN Charles Ramsey Mike Jeffries Farrah Abraham Video Saul Bass Jeanne Cooper

California Uses Cellphone Amber Alert for the 1st Time

The new system has been used at least 20 times in 14 states, including Pennsylvania, Texas and Ohio. And it has worked; last month, a missing 8-year-old boy in Cleveland was found after a man received an alert on his cellphone, saw the car described by authorities and followed it until police arrived.

Source: http://www.governing.com/news/state/California-Uses-Cellphone-Amber-Alert-for-the-1st-Time.html

Sim City Manchester United Alvin Lee mila kunis hugo chavez jamie lynn spears Chavez Dead

Saturday, August 10, 2013

X-47B drone returns to roost after historic flight testing

x-47b

6 hours ago

130710-N-TB177-135
ATLANTIC OCEAN (July 10, 2013) An X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System (UCAS) demonstrator completes an arrested landing on the flight ...

MC3 Kevin J. Steinberg / U.S. Navy

An X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System (UCAS) demonstrator completes the first ever autonomous arrested landing on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush.

Northrup Grumman's X-47B drone has completed its final flight and has headed home to its base, possibly for the last time. The entirely autonomous aircraft was the test bed for a number of future drone features, and the first to successfully land itself on an aircraft carrier.

"Salty Dog 502," as the operating X-47B is known (it has a twin not being flown at present), was temporarily staying at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia, having flown there after scrubbing a landing attempt on the U.S.S. George H.W. Bush. A minor error was detected in its software and the test operators decided to have it land at a safe location instead of the carrier.

The aborted landing came after two successful ones over the last few weeks ? the first ever such landings by an autonomous aircraft. The X-47B was created as a demonstration craft for the purpose of attempting such firsts, but will never see production. It was also the first autonomous craft to make a successful catapult take-off, earlier this year.

Friday saw the craft make a successful flight back to the Navy's Patuxent station, where it and the only other X-47B built will remain for now. The Navy may think up "additional test operations," or the two now-venerable drones may be packed off to the Navy museum.

Devin Coldewey is a contributing writer for NBC News Digital. His personal website is coldewey.cc.

Source: http://feeds.nbcnews.com/c/35002/f/663301/s/2fc65ede/sc/5/l/0L0Snbcnews0N0Ctechnology0Cx0E47b0Edrone0Ereturns0Eroost0Eafter0Ehistoric0Eflight0Etesting0E6C10A887331/story01.htm

jefferson county colorado extenze tenacious d steve smith zou bisou bisou tim tebow press conference tebow press conference

Boy Genius Report: Acer backs away from Windows

10:00 PM

Microsoft is having a tough time getting many of its PC manufacturing partners to use Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT for their new devices and now The Wall Street Journal reports that longtime Windows OEM Acer is trying to grow its ?non-Windows business as soon as possible? by embracing Android for mobile devices. Acer?s goal is to generate 30% of its revenue from Android devices and Chromebooks by the end of 2014, up from the 10% of revenue that the company expects those devices will deliver this year.

The trouble, of course, is that Acer may find it?s just as hard to make a profit from selling Android devices as it is to make a profit from selling Windows-based PCs. Although companies such as Sony and LG have lately turned in respectable results selling Android devices, Samsung is still the only company that makes money from Android devices on a consistent basis. Even so, Acer seems to think that it least has a shot at being more profitable with Android because Windows for the moment looks like a dead end.

?For the PC industry, I haven?t seen light at the end of the tunnel,? Acer president Jim Wang told the Journal. ?First, we have to sustain our market share and protect our bottom line?and by doing tablets and smartphones right, we can be prepared for the day after tomorrow.?

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheBoyGeniusReport/~3/cWZAH9UUs7k/

Suspects in Boston Bombing Kerry Rhodes Daft Punk Get Lucky Texas explosion Paul Kevin Curtis gucci mane Chicago sinkhole

Top 5 Mistakes Consumer Make While Managing Debt - Mint

Top 5 Mistakes Consumers Make While Managing Debt :: Mint.com/blog

Not all debt is created equal.

With that being said, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to managing your debt and avoiding excessive interest, fees and other penalties that could result if not handled properly.

Here are five mistakes consumers commonly make with their debt (and ways to avoid them).

Depleting Your Emergency Fund

If you have a substantial amount of cash in your savings account, allocating a vast majority of it to get out of debt may seem like the wise thing to do.

However, the problem with this approach is that it fails to get to the root of the problem.

The ultimate goal should be to get out of debt and stay out of debt, and not simply write a fat check to serve as a temporary patch.

[Related Article:?The First Thing You Must Do Before Paying Off Debt]

It is more sensible to jump-start your management efforts and cut costs elsewhere in your spending plan because emptying out your emergency fund can mean even greater debt if an emergency arises and you do not have an adequate amount of cash on-hand to cover the costs.

Having No Plan of Action

Taking a lax approach to your debt is a recipe for disaster.

You may eventually achieve your goal, but the process may be lengthy and tedious.

Just imagine a college student who randomly takes courses that appeal to them without ever looking at their transcript to see what?s needed to graduate.

Save yourself the headache and devise a detailed debt repayment plan that incorporates your financial goals.

Getting Caught in the Minimum-Payment Trap

Making the minimum payment each month may give you more flexibility in your budget, but you more than likely will never get out of debt.

In most instances, particularly if the outstanding balance is high, the minimum payment may only cover interest (or not much more), leaving you with an untouched principal balance.

[Related Article:?5 Ways To Get Out of Debt: Which Will Work for You?]

Instead of making this mistake, allocate as much money as possible toward your monthly payment, even if the amount is way more than the minimum, to ensure that your payment efforts are not in vain.

Robbing Peter to Pay Paul

Advancing cash from one debt source to another solely for the purpose of making your monthly payments may cause you to end up in a bigger financial crunch than you initially bargained for.

If your financial situation is dire and you?re robbing Peter to pay Paul just to make timely payments, reach out to the creditors and request that they grant you some sort of temporary relief until you are able to sort things out.

In addition, refrain from using any sort of financing to pay for purchases unless it is absolutely necessary.

Ignoring Statements and Credit Reports

Both your statements and credit reports paint a picture of where you stand in terms of your debt obligations.

Ignoring these documents can be very costly and time-consuming down the road if inaccuracies exist because errors that are not promptly reported may be more difficult to dispute.

To avoid these issues, immediately review your statements each month when they arrive to verify their accuracy.

[Related Article:?11 Tips to Rebuild Your Credit]

If discrepancies exist, report them as soon as possible to the creditor so that the issue can be resolved before the inaccurate information is reported to the three credit bureaus.

Also, review your credit report at least once every four months for mistakes ? you can get them for free once a year through AnnualCreditReport.com.

You can also monitor your credit once a month for free using the Credit Report Card.

?Top 5 Mistakes Consumers Make While Managing Debt? was provided by Credit.com.

?

Source: https://www.mint.com/blog/credit/top-5-mistakes-consumers-make-while-managing-debt-0813/

sag aftra mega mill power ball livan hernandez soledad o brien mega ball lottery winner

ACLU Comment on President Obama’s Proposed Surveillance Reforms

August 9, 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: media@dcaclu.org

WASHINGTON ? American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Executive Director Anthony D. Romero responded to President Obama?s four recommendations to reform the government?s surveillance policies and programs made at a press conference today with the following statement:

"While the initial reforms outlined by the president are a necessary and welcome first step, they are not nearly sufficient. The bulk collection of Americans' phone records is only one of several troubling programs disclosed over the last two months. The president must work with members of Congress to reform? all of these surveillance programs, including those authorized by Section 702 of the FISA Amendments Act, which collect, monitor and retain the contents of Americans' communications without a warrant. We also urge the president to release the relevant FISA Court opinions and agency memos that have created a body of secret law that is far removed from public oversight and adequate congressional review. We must ensure that the government's surveillance programs once again adhere to the protections afforded by the Fourth Amendment."

Source: http://www.aclu.org/national-security/aclu-comment-president-obamas-proposed-surveillance-reforms

st. bonaventure ira glass swain match day nene dark shadows trailer nate mcmillan

Newspaper delivery man helps save 11 from house fire

A newspaper carrier for the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch is being credited with saving 11 people's lives after discovering a house on fire early Thursday.

Ben Carroll, a 28-year-old carrier from Meigs, Ohio, was on his bicycle delivering papers along his route at approximately 5 a.m. Thursday when he smelled smoke.

"It smelled like garbage burning," Carroll told the Dispatch.

He said he saw flames on the side of a duplex and knocked on the front door. When no one answered, he called the fire department.

?Then I went around and banged on the side door and no one answered," Carroll said. "I could see a child through a little window. I just kept banging and yelling and banging and yelling.?

A man eventually came to the front door, but didn?t believe his house was on fire.

"He probably thought it was a prank," Carroll said. ?I?m like, 'Dude, your house is on fire.'"

The unidentified man told Columbus' News 10 that everyone in the house was sound asleep.

Carroll convinced the man to step outside and see the flames for himself. The man ran back inside, emerging along with four other adults and six children.

No one was injured.

?I just happened to be at the right place at the right time and I did what I was supposed to do,? Carroll said.

Fire officials told Yahoo News that the fire, which started on the back porch of the home and spread to the kitchen, is under investigation.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/newspaper-delivery-guy-credited-with-saving-11-from-house-fire-180531260.html

Go Daddy Superbowl Commercial 2013 michael oher superbowl score ray lewis alicia keys Harbaugh brothers superbowl commercials